[meteorite-list] What are those blueberries on Mars?

From: Mark Ferguson <mafer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:22 2004

Hi Bjorn and List

They are interesting. Two things come to mind for spherical rocks. One, you
mentioned wind, and you might know theres an area where the rocks seem to
move and leave these curious "tracks" of they're movement across the ground.
It was finally found that wind moved them as it gusted across the area. So,
with the wind speeds possible on Mars, its very possible to tumble and wind
abrade things very well.
The other I thought of requires a body of water. In this also, a change
needed to occur so that oolitic type precipitation could form ( oolites are
small round carbonate balls formed as material precipitates out of solution
and layers form increasing the size).
It is interesting and will be fun to learn what the rover says about them.
Mark