[meteorite-list] Iranian Fireball Was Of Geophysical Origin

From: Charles Viau <cviau_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:22 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C3F22B.DEB33D70

The 'bit of a stretch" comment in the same context as " just like we
have Martian meteorites" is intentional. The gravitational forces on
the Earth are higher, and there is a dense atmosphere related to Mars.
It takes a much bigger impactor on earth to eject material at escape
velocity than it would on Mars. Therefore, the amount of available
material that could possibly find it's way back to Earth would be much
less and should be rather rare. Who knows: as rare as a Venusian
meteorite? No one has every classified one but you can bet your helmet
that they are here somewhere. We only know that Mars and Lunar materials
are here because we have been to those places and analyzed the chemical
and geological properties of rocks, which were mostly basalts.

The angle of impact would not be that important with an impactor like
Chixilub, Sudbury, Vredfort, Chesapeake and probably Manicouagan.
The size of these bodies would eject material even on a zenith
trajectory. They would also punch such a vacuum hole in the atmosphere
that it would suck out great quantities of molten matter that would go
into earth orbit and most likely reenter the atmosphere producing
tektites.

The point here is that it does not require an extreme amount of physics
to understand that there are pieces of this entire solar system all over
the place. We just have to look at all of the impact craters that we can
see in our neighborhood to understand that every planet has probably
traded material with every other over the course of the last 4 billion
years.

CharlyV