[meteorite-list] My Tucson report (PART 1)

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:21 2004

Well, everybody else is doing it so I will give my
Tucson report also. My report might be somewhat boring
compared to the Hubes and others but here is what I
did in Tucson.
I only decided to go last monday after finding a
ticket to phoenix on the internet for $300. I get to
phoenix no problem (Early actually) but took 3 hours
to drive to Tucson as a result of a sinkhole just
outside of phoenix damaging a lane on the road or
something.
Tucson has a cool Spanish Language radio station which
kept me entertained while I was driving for 3 hours
(Do anybody in Tucson listen to FM102.1 and can speak
good spanish - if so please contact me as I need a
little help).
Anyway, as planned I went artifact shopping the first
few hours on thursday and then went to the Vegabond to
meet Blaine and eduardo and some fossil dealers that i
know there.
As expected all of the beer drinkers and Michael Blood
were at blaines room. Nice round of gretting by all.
Eduardo is a huge sushi connosuir and me and Mark went
to eduardos favorate sushi place with another friend.
Mark got sick but we assumed it was because his flight
got delayed and he started drinking at 10am (Not sure
why he waited so late for beer anyway - dont most
people drink that stuff for breckfest?).
Then I have a problem since I dont have an hotel. I
drive to benson and then drive toward phoenix. At a
place called pikacoo (Sort of like the pokemon
characters) 45 miles north of Tucson I got a $50 hotel
easy. Friday morning on the way back there are lots of
hotels with vacancy signs and even the oasis (Two
blocks from the vegabond) had a vacancy sign up until
4pm. Much of the day was spent at the vegabond and
thats where I started. Blaine wasnt open at 9:15AM so
I spent two hours with the fossil people. Close to
noon I finally get back to Blaines room and discover
that Marks ailment wasnt a result of to much beer but
that he was actually sick. He appeared to be suffering
from food poisening and looked really bad. I felt bad
for abandoning him last night now. Me and Mark then
spends much of the day at the innsuites and went to
the meteorite dealers. I went Gold nugget and more
fossil shopping but the meteorite dealers were all
there. Hans as usual had the best Campos at the show
and the prime show location. ET had Caspers old room
and had some really nice meteorites and his prices
were lower than normal also. ET has pretty much my
philosopy in that if you still have it after 3 months
it stops looking pretty. Anybody who missed ETs room
probably missed some good deals as Deals were to be
had at Ets room. I liked his fossil crabs to. The
labbennes had their Lunar stuff but not a lot of stuff
but everything was better and higher priced material.
They had a real cool looking lunar plaque. Kilgore of
course had his usual source of rare material and some
knives and Bruno had his rare material as well as
coins and artifacts. Farmer had an interesting room
with lots of rare NWAs and farmer also had his stuff
priced much cheaper than so called "Market Value" and
deals were to be had. Interesting new Tucson seller
that made the show better. We then go to our room at
around 4 at the best western innsuites up near the
mountains as poor Mark looked like he would die if he
never got rest. While we were checking in somebody
else came asking for rooms and they were available.
Evidently hotel rooms are not at such a premium this
year. Attandence was down and most dealers were
complaining about a poor showing. I go to the Pueblo
Inn and visit the dealers there and also visit a
moroccan dealer who had a stunning ZAG and of course
Erich Haiderer. erichs room is a must see in Tucson as
there is always something cheap and rare in Erichs
room. I went gemstone and more fossil and mineral
shopping and went to the czech moldavite dealers room
also.
At 7 I go to pick up Mark and go to the Notkin/Arnold
party.
<PART TWO COMING UP SOON>