[meteorite-list] Mars Rover Spirit Restored to Health

From: E. L. Jones <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:20 2004

NASA doesn't want you to know that it may have gotten a
"virus"........e-mail or otherwise.(just kidding) MyDoom doesn't take
long to fill up any in box anywhere!

Actually, the memory, CPU and bus speeds are low, for amongst other
things I suspect, because they opted for EMP hardened military spec
chips. Those aren't as densely circuited as what we have today
commercially. Certification costs are very high and improvements don't
keep pace with commercially available chips. I think we were using a
microprocessor on par with the 386 recently on the shuttle orbiter. We
take things for granted today by assuming space hardened hardware is on
par with the latest "Plentimum Mk 8 Hyper10 Windblows 2010" . Be it
remembered we went to the moon with guidance computers less
sophisticated than a hand held calculator.

Good also that they are programed in a more widely used programming
language. Anyone know what the specs are for the onboard processors?
11k xfer rate is slower than a fax.

Elton