[meteorite-list] Could A Meteorite or Comet Cause All The Firesof1871?

From: David Freeman <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Aug 25 00:28:49 2004

Dear Ken, List;
Very interesting historical account. I note the historical account left
out any report of meteorites or comets, or earthquakes, or atomic blasts
by UFOs.
My great, great, great grandpa Schaffer was living in the Sherman area
when the fires took place. He passed the story down to my grandpa, whom
I learned about the people from Manistee to East Tawas who fled to the
lakes and rivers to escape the fires.
I have a picture of my three great grandpa holding a set of white tail
antlers and a Damascus twisted, open hammer double barrel shot gun.
 Pretty cool. He was also a member of the Michigan Militia and help
guard president Lincoln during part of the civil war.
History is thrilling after a while.
Dave F.