[meteorite-list] NPA 12-16-1951: November Meteors, Monnig and La Paz mentioned

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Aug 20 13:34:50 2004

Paper: Walla Walla Union Bulletin
City: Walla Walla, Washington
Date: December 16, 1951
Page: 25

By J. Hugh Pruett
Pacific Regional Director
American Meteor Society

     Brilliant meteors in unbelievably large numbers were reported streaking
the skies of the southwestern states during the first half of November.
With very little description of most of them, one nevertheless gets the
general impression all were supposed to be spectacular.
     Dr. Lincoln La Paz, regional director of the American Meteor Society
for Arizona, New Mexico, Utah and Colorado, and Oscar Monnig for Texas have
been widely quoted on the recent occurrences Dr. La Paz has been represented
as saying that eight fireballs in 13 days indicated they were not all
natural phenomena; other dispatches have him stating they probably were.
     The present writer (regional director for Idaho, Washington, Oregon,
California and Nevada), who has been "managing" fireballs the past 19 years,
has received numerous newspaper clippings from California to Texas on the
November excitement. As the reported celestial missiles were not over his
territory, he is not tracing them, but cannot resist expressing some
opinions.
     There is no doubt that the blazing, noisy object seen from several
states at 7:10 a.m., CST November 7 was a splendid and genuine meteor, the
kind that may be called "a sight of a lifetime." The wide territory from
which it was reported, the accompanying phenomena, and the surprise of the
numerous observers, proves this without question.
     There may have been one or two others near that time that were somewhat
abnormal. But my long experience working with fireballs - I have traced the
paths of exactly 30 "big fellows" since 1932, the last the August 11, 1950
object - convinces me that when a very unusual one gets considerable
publicity, numerous mediocre meteors appearing both before and after the
"main event" will at once be reported.
     We always appreciate for our records reports of meteors no larger in
appearance than Jupiter, but as there are being received from single
observers almost weekly even when no "main event" has taken place, we make
no attempts to trace their paths.
     But when suddenly the radios from several localities - and the
newspapers as soon as they can - start excited accounts of a huge fireball
tearing across the night of several states, lighting the landscape like day,
and rumbling with frightful guttoral sounds, we know we have a celestial
visitor "worthy of our steel," and at once ask the press to request that
first- hand observations be sent tot he American Meteor society's regional
head quarters. On the huge twilight meteor of November 29, 1945, I received
from Oregon, California and Nevada, 517 individual reports.
     Questionnaires and sometimes instruments for measuring Angles are sent
to those who have the best information and ability to impart it. When there
come back, we can plot the territory over which the fireball traveled.
     A woman once requested: "The next time a big fireball goes over,
telephone me, I do want to see one."

(end)

Meteorites A to Z does not show recovered meteorites for either August 11,
1950 or November 29, 1945.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com