[meteorite-list] New Meteorite Found in Canada

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Apr 26 13:41:31 2004

http://www.canada.com/calgary/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=d78a3433-e1a9-4093-9b21-30a876345b7d

Hunter hits meteorite pay dirt
CanWest News Services
April 26, 2004

A Winnipeg man down on his luck has hit pay dirt with a couple of strange
rocks he found on a hunting trip.

Scientists have confirmed Derek Erstelle's finds are meteorite fragments
containing among the rarest and oldest materials in the solar system -- and
are potentially worth $100,000. The news couldn't have come at a better
time for Erstelle, 47, who has been out of work and on disability for four
years.

"I'm hoping this will clean things up a bit . . . I could certainly use
it," Erstelle said.

Martin Beech, who teaches astronomy at the University of Regina, said
the rocks are meteorite fragments from the core of an asteroid that was
involved in a collision with another asteroid millions of years ago.

"Asteroid material is the first material that formed in the solar system,"
Beech said.

He said collectors would eagerly pay $10 per gram for Erstelle's rare
find. The two fragments weigh a combined 9.8 kilograms, which could net
Erstelle a cool $100,000.