[meteorite-list] RE: Escoria

From: tracy latimer <daistiho_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:15 2004

I just received my bit of Escoria from Norm yesterday. It's a good thing
someone is collecting this material; despite several layers of bubble wrap
and a padded envelope, the U.S. Snail still managed to fracture the piece I
ordered into 5 fragments and some dust. That's how light and fragile this
material is, practically spun glass! Not your fault, Norm, it's just the
nature of the beast. Sea action and erosion destroying any freed fragments
almost immediately I see as being a real problem. Mining activity would
probably destroy more pieces than it frees; it's not a typical tektite, but
closer to a pumice, just chock full of glassy little foamy bubbles. I can
see why it's so hard to get fragments of any size out of the bed.

Tracy Latimer