[meteorite-list] Perry to Harvill Letter, Feb. 23, 1952

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:14 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0038_01C42253.C6F4D2E0

[Mark Note: Letter is from Stuart Perry to Richard Harvill, president of =
the University of Arizona regarding a proposed $2000.00 grant Perry wante=
d to make for Nininger through the University.]
[Stuart Perry's file copy]

February 23, 1952
Dear Dr. Harvill;
In view of the difficulties involved in the administration of my proposed=
 gift for Dr. Nininger's researches, I am inclined to think that the gift=
 better be made to some other institution where he could have a free hand=

I can readily understand your difficulties; but it is necessary for the s=
uccess of the effort that Nininger should have an absolutely free hand --=
 to conduct this researches anywhere and in any manner he thinks best. An=
y limitations on the amount or character of his expenses might curtail or=
 prevent important activities. No daily average limit would be practicabl=
e; in one place he might spend only $5 or $1, but in another he might hav=
e to make an expedition into the mountains with horses and a guide, or ev=
en make an airplane flight.
I hope this suggestion is agreeable to you. Indeed I fancy you will be re=
lieved to be rid of the troubles incident to the administration of the fu=
nd.
With warm regards, I remain
Sincerely,
(Stuart Perry - name is missing as this is the file copy. The original se=
nt to Harvill would have been signed by Perry)

------=_NextPart_001_0038_01C42253.C6F4D2E0

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><FONT size=3D2=
><FONT size=3D2> <P>[Mark Note: Letter is from Stuart Perry to Richard Ha=
rvill, president of the University of Arizona regarding a proposed $2000.=
00 grant Perry wanted to make for Nininger through the University.]</P> <=
P>[Stuart Perry's file copy]</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>February 23, 1952</P> <=
P>Dear Dr. Harvill;</P> <P>In view of the difficulties involved in the ad=
ministration of my proposed gift for Dr. Nininger's researches, I am incl=
ined to think that the gift better be made to some other institution wher=
e he could have a free hand.</P> <P>I can readily understand your difficu=
lties; but it is necessary for the success of the effort that Nininger sh=
ould have an absolutely free hand -- to conduct this researches anywhere =
and in any manner he thinks best. Any limitations on the amount or charac=
ter of his expenses might curtail or prevent important activities. No dai=
ly average limit would be practicable; in one place he might spend only $=
5 or $1, but in another he might have to make an expedition into the moun=
tains with horses and a guide, or even make an airplane flight.</P> <P>I =
hope this suggestion is agreeable to you. Indeed I fancy you will be reli=
eved to be rid of the troubles incident to the administration of the fund=
</P> <P>With warm regards, I remain</P> <P>Sincerely,</P> <P>(Stuart Per=
ry - name is missing as this is the file copy. The original sent to Harvi=
ll would have been signed by Perry)</P></FONT></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0038_01C42253.C6F4D2E0--