[meteorite-list] Scientists Size Up, Classify Park Forest Meteorite

From: Walter Branch <branchw_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:14 2004

Hello Everyone,

"The meteorite broke up in the atmosphere, and the fragments encountered
strong westerly winds as they fell," the authors write. "The smallest pieces
were deflected the furthest eastward from the trajectory, and the largest
pieces, carrying more momentum, were deflected the least."

Now that is interesting. the wind blew the smaller pieces at a right angle
to the trajectory. I have sometimes wondered is this were possible. Now I
know.

Wasn't there quite a bit of discussion last year about the altitude at the
which the breakup occurred? Seems like different people were getting
different altitudes. Maybe these winds were affecting the calculations in
different ways?

-Walter

www.branchmeteorites.com