[meteorite-list] Nininger to Perry Letter, Feb. 14, 1952 (in Mexico)

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:13 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0016_01C42127.A11B7970

(American Meteorite Museum Letterhead)
AMERICAN METEORITE MUSUEM
OPPOSITE METEOR CRATER ON HIGHWAY 66
POST OFFICE BOX 1171
WINSLOW ARIZONA

February 14, 1952
Casea Dodler,
Calle General Cano,
20 Tacubaya, Mexico, DF.
Until February 21

Mr. Stuart H. Perry
Arizona Inn,
Tucson, Arizona
Dear Friend:
We reached Mexico City almost a week ago and are conveniently located nea=
r the great Chapultepee Park. The weather is quite warm during the day an=
d cool at night. Just now (2:00 p.m.) the sunshine is really hot.
I have been at the Institute Geologia every day except one and that day w=
e flew over Xiquipilco (Dr. Mullerreid and I). We could arrive at no conc=
lusion regarding the existence of a meteoriet crater, viewing the terrain=
 from the air only. The terrain is very rugged indeed.
On Saturday we plan to drive to Xiquipilco and may spend a few days there=
 looking at several features which attracted our attention.
With the mineralogist I have been going over the collection in the Instit=
uto Geolgia. It is not large and has been handled very carelessly. I find=
 the labels all mixed up, even several of those which I had left correctl=
y arranged in 1937. We are straightening out all that are possible to str=
aighten but there are some which I shall have to leave with question mark=
s.
The Institute is short of money and for the most part the help is not to =
efficient. However, Dr. Mullerreid and several others are real scientists=

We have gone into some of the old literature and have, I think, sufficien=
tly complete data to make an effective search for one of the lost, large =
meteorites in northern Mexico. I will talk to you about it when I see you=

I trust the university will have gotten their legal matters straightened =
out relative to your proposed gift or else that you have completed arrang=
ements with some other institution to handle it. Because we have already =
overdrawn our budget for this work.
Regards to Mrs. Perry,
(signed)
H.H. Nininger
Mark note: Perry has noted (in pencil?): Call Harvill, on the side of the=
 paper by the proposed gift reference. I note that Perry is living in Tuc=
son, Arizona at the time of this letter, which is the location of the Uni=
versity and the institution of the proposed grant. While I find it unusua=
l Perry did not think, "I should stop by and talk with Harvill in person"=
 I am not reading anything into this and it is quite possible Perry did =
such. This is just an observational note. The grant was $2,000 and at the=
 time a fairly large sum of money.

------=_NextPart_001_0016_01C42127.A11B7970

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><FONT size=3D2=
> <P>(American Meteorite Museum Letterhead)</P> <P>AMERICAN METEORITE MUS=
UEM</P> <P>OPPOSITE METEOR CRATER ON HIGHWAY 66</P> <P>POST OFFICE BOX 11=
71</P> <P>WINSLOW ARIZONA</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>February 14, 1952</P> <P>C=
asea Dodler,</P> <P>Calle General Cano,</P> <P>20 Tacubaya, Mexico, DF.</=
P> <P>Until February 21</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>Mr. Stuart H. Perry</P> <P>A=
rizona Inn,</P> <P>Tucson, Arizona</P> <P>Dear Friend:</P> <P>We reached =
Mexico City almost a week ago and are conveniently located near the great=
 Chapultepee Park. The weather is quite warm during the day and cool at n=
ight. Just now (2:00 p.m.) the sunshine is really hot.</P> <P>I have been=
 at the Institute Geologia every day except one and that day we flew over=
 Xiquipilco (Dr. Mullerreid and I). We could arrive at no conclusion rega=
rding the existence of a meteoriet crater, viewing the terrain from the a=
ir only. The terrain is very rugged indeed.</P> <P>On Saturday we plan to=
 drive to Xiquipilco and may spend a few days there looking at several fe=
atures which attracted our attention.</P> <P>With the mineralogist I have=
 been going over the collection in the Instituto Geolgia. It is not large=
 and has been handled very carelessly. I find the labels all mixed up, ev=
en several of those which I had left correctly arranged in 1937. We are s=
traightening out all that are possible to straighten but there are some w=
hich I shall have to leave with question marks.</P> <P>The Institute is s=
hort of money and for the most part the help is not to efficient. However=
, Dr. Mullerreid and several others are real scientists.</P> <P>We have g=
one into some of the old literature and have, I think, sufficiently compl=
ete data to make an effective search for one of the lost, large meteorite=
s in northern Mexico. I will talk to you about it when I see you.</P> <P>=
I trust the university will have gotten their legal matters straightened =
out relative to your proposed gift or else that you have completed arrang=
ements with some other institution to handle it. Because we have already =
overdrawn our budget for this work.</P> <P>Regards to Mrs. Perry,</P> <P>=
(signed)</P> <P>H.H. Nininger</P> <P>Mark note: Perry has noted (in penci=