[meteorite-list] Easter Bunny

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:13 2004

on 4/11/04 7:49 PM, David Freeman at dfreeman_at_fascination.com wrote:
> Dear Michael,
> I just got back from Wendy's, the chicken sandwish was good!
> Hope everyone had a happy easter, I sure did.
> I still don't know how the church got the easter bunny involved with
> easter...
> DAve F.
Dear Dave,
        The Church was, after the first few hundred years AD, quick
to exploit the various traditions of other cultures. The Saxons
worshiped Estrous, the goddess of fertility. The primarily symbols
for Estrous were rabbits and eggs. Thus we get the term, "Easter"
and the Easter Bunny and Easter Eggs. She is also the origin of the
name for one of the primary female hormones, estrogen.
        Best wishes, Michael