[meteorite-list] Re: Franconia Meteorites/Variation, Classification & Confusion

From: John Birdsell <birdsell_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:12 2004

Hi Dave, yes that's right. As a matter of fact some small irons have
been found as well as some chondrites containing large iron nodules. It
wouldn't be too surprising if the small irons turned out to be the
remains of a nodule containing chondrite that fragmented at altitude.
As far as classification goes I believe that the majority of different
types are being classified as we speak. In any case, the slices that we
posted from Franconia wash are, as we mentioned, unclassified. It will
be fun to see how may different types eventually come out of this region!

Cheers

John

Dear All,
So what will be the opinion when an iron or pallesite comes out of
there? Two or three different chondrites you say and we will call them
all H5 regardless of the LL5 to H5...mmm....seems like there needs to be
a bunch more classification to do to me. With out classification, maybe
they are not unlike some NWA's...orphans from a known location?
Not to feed the ducks,
Dave Freeman