[meteorite-list] Artist's Rendition Meteor Crater

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:11 2004

Hello Jim, Paul, and List,

Extraordinary issue of MeteoriteTimes. Kudos from Germany !!!

For those fortunate enough to own the National Geographic Magazine
for July, 1939 (Volume LXXVI, Number One), there are several stunning
paintings by Charles Bittinger depicting various solar system phenomenae.
One of these is a breathtaking, colorful rendering of the very moment, or
had I better say "the very millisecond", the meteoroid or small comet that
carved Meteor Crater out of Arizona's plains slams into the ground with
Orion as a backdrop. Very dramatic!

The accompanying text says:

Roaring in from outer space, a huge meteorite or small comet dug Arizona's
great Meteor Crater. Red-hot on the outside from the friction of its passage
through the atmosphere, the million-ton mass appeared somewhat like this as
it struck the Earth at terrific speed. The constellation of Orion is shown at
upper right.

As I can't post the painting of this dramatic scene to the List, I'll send it to
Michael Blood who may be willing to add it to the other pics in his picture
gallery.

Best regards,

Bernd