[meteorite-list] Tsavorites

From: Pekka Savolainen <pekka.savolainen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:30:00 2004

--------------050006000200010301090206

Hello, all,

The hardness of obsidian or volcanic glass is 5 - 5―,
moldavites 5―. Dispersion of obsidian is 0,010 and
moldavite doesnīt have it at all. The difference is not
enough to make a valid classificaton with this way.

The refractive index is 1.48 - 1.50 for both, so the
refractometer is useless in this problem. Also both
are amorphics.

In fact also Moldavite + other tektites are glass,
Si02 + AL2O3, so itīs very, very difficult to find the
difference from dumbled or cutted pieces. Usually
raw Moldavite has clear characters, typical for it, and
so do also the other tektites.

Any african ones I have seen, donīt have this typical
appearance.

Absorbtion for green obsidian is 680, 670, 660, 650,
635, 595, 555, 500 . With Moldavite, usually the
absorbtion canīt be ordered.

If someone on the list happens to have this material and
a spectrometre nearby, it would be nice to hear the results
about the absortion-spectre of the material.

I gave specimens I had, to my friend, who is a gemmologist,
FGA. Will call her, and ask her to check the spectrum, if she
still have the pieces left. It may take some days, but will let
you know the results.

Well, in fact I can bet, the spectrum will show chrome,
if the material is from Kenya and near Tsavo...;-

best regards,

pekka s

--
Pekka Savolainen
Jokiharjuntie 4
FIN-71330 Rasala
FINLAND
+ 358 400 818 912
Group Home Page: http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/eurocoin
Group Email Address: eurocoin_at_smartgroups.com
--------------050006000200010301090206
<head>
</head>
Hello, all,<br>
The hardness of &nbsp;obsidian or volcanic glass is 5 - 5&frac12;,<br>
moldavites&nbsp; 5&frac12;. Dispersion of obsidian is 0,010 and<br>
moldavite doesn&acute;t have it at all. The difference is not<br>
enough to make a valid classificaton with this way.<br>
The refractive index is 1.48 - 1.50 for both, so the<br>
 refractometer is useless in this problem. Also both<br>
 are amorphics.<br>
 In fact also Moldavite + other tektites are glass, <br>
 Si02 + AL2O3, so it&acute;s very, very difficult to find the<br>
 difference from dumbled or cutted pieces. Usually <br>
raw Moldavite has clear characters, typical for it, and <br>
so do also &nbsp;the other tektites. <br>
 Any african ones I have seen, don&acute;t have this typical <br>
 appearance.<br>
Absorbtion for green obsidian is 680, 670, 660, 650,<br>
635, &nbsp;595, 555, 500 . &nbsp;With&nbsp; Moldavite, usually &nbsp;the <br>
absorbtion can&acute;t be ordered.<br>
If someone on the list happens to have this material and<br>
a spectrometre nearby, it would be nice to hear the results<br>
about the absortion-spectre of the material.<br>
I gave specimens I had, to my friend, who is a gemmologist,<br>
FGA. Will&nbsp; call her, and ask her to check the spectrum, if she<br>
still have the pieces left. It may take some days, but will let<br>
you know the results.<br>
Well, in fact I can bet, the spectrum will show chrome,<br>
if the material is from Kenya and near Tsavo...;- <br>
best regards,<br>
pekka s<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:Impactika_at_aol.com">Impactika@aol.com</a> wrote:<br>
One easy way to differentiate them could be the hardness. <br>
Tsavorite, and most garnets, are 7 to 7.5 on the Mohs hardness scale. Glass,
natural or man-made is a lot softer, 5 (I think). <br>
Now, what is the average hardness of tektites? <br>
 &nbsp; <br>
Anne M. Black <br>
www. IMPACTIKA.com <br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:IMPACTIKA_at_aol.com">IMPACTIKA@aol.com</a> <br>
  <pre class="moz-signature" cols="$mailwrapcol">--
Pekka Savolainen
Jokiharjuntie 4
FIN-71330 Rasala
FINLAND