[meteorite-list] Nickel test kit

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:59 2004

Hi Mike,

The standard nickel test (based on dimethyl glyoxime) can produce
false positives and false negatives because it is very sensitive
to the cleanliness of the containers in which it is carried out.
I haven't experimented any with the kits I've seen listed on eBay
from time to time, so I can't give you any feedback on their
reliability. But I ~can~ tell you that when I performed the full-
blown test in a beaker back in my university days, the results
were very sensitive to how well the glassware had been cleaned.

Because of that experience 20-odd years ago, I have avoided
nickel testing with candidate iron meteorites. It's much simpler
to just polish a surface and etch it with ferric chloride.

--Rob