[meteorite-list] New Hall for Meteorites Old Beyond Imagining

From: Starbits_at_aol.com <Starbits_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:58 2004

<What a great presentation this could be... From the early
  solar system>

  In the talks I have given the kids are most impressed with something heavy, an iron is better than an OC. A 500 gram sikhote-alin impresses them more than a piece of mars.
  Also they have little concept of time so I take along a ruler and equate 1mm to 100 years. Their folks and grand parents are less than 100 years so play it up. Then expand out to the death of dinosaurs, beginnings of life, etc to the formation of the solar system. Give them land marks not distances, across the room down the hall out to the street down past the fire station etc. Then remind them how old their grand parents are on the ruler.
  Have fun.

Eric Olson
http://www.star-bits.com