[meteorite-list] Serious question?

From: Kevin Fly Hill <khill_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:57 2004

If you want to speculate on "rusting impactors" you may not have to go quite
so far. Come on over to East Texas (and many points in the southeast US) --
Everything -- from the clay to the rock is red and much of it (the rock) is
magnetic. In fact the main road bed material in use out here is called
"iron ore gravel". They dig this stuff up and process out gravel that is as
red, orange and black as mars looks on any pictures I've seen. Much of the
farmland around here has a deep layer of white/beige sand, but underneath at
some point is red clay/rock sedimentary formation. We have the Marquez
impactor site just south of us?????
Also in central Texas in and around Bastrop (east of Austin) is a roughly
circular area several miles across know as the Lost Pines. It is an area of
pine trees, red acid soil/clay that is surrounded by post oak savannah,
alkaline soil/limestone. Never have heard what caused this area to be where
it is??? Very old impactor site??? Who knows -- maybe some of those
teasips at tu in Austin. (from an Aggie Dad)

Fly Hill