[meteorite-list] Serious question?

From: Charles R. Viau <cviau_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:57 2004

Oxidation - Definition -> Combining a substance with oxygen.

Oxidation is not possible without oxygen. It must be present, either
directly, or produced indirectly by a chemical process that involves a
catalyst that frees up the oxygen from some material that contains
molecules with oxygen locked up inside it (ozone,water,hydrogen
peroxide,etc..)
Oxygen is extremely reactive and forms oxides with nearly all other
elements except noble gases. Once the oxygen is liberated, it can
combine with another element, producing an oxide. All oxidation is just
another form of burning, it produces heat, very slow and small like
rusting, or vigorous as in a burning pile of leaves.

CharlyV IMCA 4351