[meteorite-list] meteorites from Phobos?

From: Jose Campos <josecamposcomet_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:57 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0180_01C37D7B.E3174BB0

Hi List and Ron,

Ron Balk's "Mars Global Surveyor Images September 11-17, 2003" email =
sent yesterday to meteorite-list has as allways, many interesting images =
from Mars, but I would like to call your attention to the one under =
"Boulders on Phobos (Released 16 Sept. 2003) http://www.msss.com/mars =
images/moc/2003/09/16/index.html It shows a very interesting image =
taken by Mars Orbiter Camera, of a portion of the surface of Phobos, one =
of the 2 moons of Mars; in this particular image, it can be seen a large =
boulder "about 85 meter (~280 feet) in diameter" and there is the =
following comment "most of the boulders may have been ejected from the =
largest impact crater on Phobos, Stickney".
My question is: Would it be possible to find on Earth, meteorites with =
an origin from Phobos (or the other moon Deimos)?
Or would the fragments be mainly gravitationally atracted by Mars?
I suppose that other factors should be considered, such as the angle and =
the velocity of the impactors on the moons?

Jos=E9 Campos

------=_NextPart_000_0180_01C37D7B.E3174BB0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial" bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Hi List and Ron,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Ron Balk's "Mars Global Surveyor Images September =
11-17, 2003"=20
email sent yesterday to meteorite-list has as allways, many interesting =
images=20
from Mars, but I would like to call your attention to the one under =
"Boulders on=20
Phobos (Released 16 Sept. 2003) <A=20
href=3D"http://www.msss.com/mars">http://www.msss.com/mars</A>&nbsp;image=
s/moc/2003/09/16/index.html&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
It shows a very interesting image taken by Mars Orbiter Camera, of a =
portion of=20
the surface of Phobos, one of the 2 moons of Mars; in this particular =
image, it=20
can be seen a large boulder "about 85 meter (~280 feet) in diameter" and =
there=20
is the following comment "most of the boulders may have been ejected =
from the=20
largest impact crater on Phobos, Stickney".</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>My question is: Would it be possible to&nbsp;find on =
Earth,=20
meteorites with an origin from Phobos (or the other moon =
Deimos)?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Or would the fragments be mainly gravitationally =
atracted by=20
Mars?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I suppose that other factors should be considered, =
such as the=20
angle and the velocity of the impactors on the moons?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Jos=E9 Campos</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<P></P></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0180_01C37D7B.E3174BB0--