Re-2: [meteorite-list] CH or CB Chondrite?

From: j.divelbiss_at_att.net <j.divelbiss_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:56 2004

Jeff,

Thank you for the explanation and clarification that clans do not necessarily
tie two groups together...though they are thought to be related due to
similarities. So it goes something like this... (with a few questions at the
bottom).

Class: Carbonaceous

   Groups: CB3a, CB3b, CH, CR2 (CR clan)
           CV3, CK3-5 (CV-CK clan)
           CM2, CO3 (CM-CO clan)
           CI
and

Class: Ordinary Chondrites

   Groups: H (with in between samples of H/L and L/LL)
           LL
           R (Jeff's point)

w/K in its' own Class, or as a Group in either the C or OC Class ? (also
Jeff's point)

Note 1: Raising CR to a Class level does not make sense looking at this
model. My (John D's suggestion) was actually to have CR as a Group and the
CRH, CRL, CRB, CH as subgroups(or class or even type ?)...which also looks
inappropriate.

Note 2: I've seen CH called CH2...is that not the case as of yet???

Note 3: I've seen Classes called Groups in one textbook.

Note 4: Are subgroups appropriately called a class or should they be a type
(ie: Class OC, Group H, class or type H3.8 ???) Some texts call H3.8 a
class...which makes it even more confusing! Should it be a type?

Thanks again Jeff,

John D.