[meteorite-list] Denver Show Report

From: geoking_at_notkin.net <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:55 2004

Dear Listees:

I returned very late last night from the Denver show -- only a 13
hour door-to-door trip, thanks to runway construction at Newark, and
a painfully slow six hour delay in Cincinnati. Despite that, and a
crippling bout of hayfever while in Colorado, the show was most
enjoyable -- thanks in part to my pal "Doc" Geoff Cintron who seems
to have something for every emergency in that traveling Island
Meteorite briefcase.

As always, the Denver COMETS were great hosts, throwing their fourth
annual meteorite auction (in association with auctioneer Michael
Blood), and a fine party at La Loma, where once again the bravest of
us tried to consume two (or more!) of the world's largest margaritas.
I came home with a few nice new acquisitions including a lovely holed
Campo -- on which, for some mysterious reason, I was the only bidder
at the auction.

Thanks are due to the stellar cast of meteorite folks in and around
Denver, which includes Anne Black, Bill and Mike Jensen, Fred Olsen,
Matt Morgan, Gary Curtiss, and especially Fred Hall for setting up
the *original* Nininger/Huss printing press at the COMETS auction.
This is an amazing historical item, complete with typefaces, unique
American Meteorite Museum stamps, etc. We all hope that the press
will someday find a home in a museum where it can be properly
appreciated. Cheers also to Edwin "E.T." Thompson for generously
donating several bottles of very fine wine -- every drop of which was
rapidly consumed during the auction.

I was a bit lax with picture taking this year, as I was pretty much
under the weather all weekend, but I do have a few nice shots, which
I will post shortly.

Regards to all,

Geoff N.
www.paleozoic.org