[meteorite-list] PURTARANO

From: j.divelbiss_at_att.net <j.divelbiss_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:54 2004

Steve and others,

A few months ago I posted a thread to the list that basically said that while
the Putorana looks like a mesosiderite...that when I compared it to Vaca
Muerta in thin section, they look nothing alike at all. Plain and simple the
Putorana looks like the basalt that it has been identified as.

My question to others is "why did it take so long to figure that out when it
seems so obvious to a novice like me...in thin section?".

Are there other mesosiderites that look like basalt in thin section? If so,
which ones? If not...were the researchers considering it to be a new type?

Also noteworthy is that Ivan (finmet) is selling Putorana again, and his
description is alluding to it being considered to be extraterrestrial again,
because in his/others words...such a rock cannot exist on earth (native iron
separated within a rock). Does anyone know what is going on with the research
of this material. Is it really being considered to from out of this world
again?

Putorana sure looks like basalt to me...and it does not like any eucrite or
diogentite that I've seen in thin section...which are the known rock parts of
mesosiderites.

Puzzled again,

John