[meteorite-list] re: meteorite photography scales

From: Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:51 2004

> I would believe most are centimeter cubes. 10 millimeters in a cube...2.57
> cubes in an inch, etc.

Just hair-splitting: I think that should be 2.54, not 2.57?

On a more serious note regarding scale indicators used in meteorite photo's:
I prefer scale indicators like black-white bars or 1 cm cubes (or even 1
inch cubes) to the frequent habit of another type of size indicator, a coin.
While perhaps a US resident does not realize this, non-US, e.g. European
residents might not be familiar with the size of a US dime or quarter coin
at all. For them such a size indicator can be quite meaningless. Especially
meteorite dealers who serve an international public should realize this.

- Marco :-)

Marco Langbroek

meteorites_at_dmsweb.org
http://home.wanadoo.nl/marco.langbroek