[meteorite-list] Ebay shipping charges???

From: Mark Miconi <mam602_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:50 2004

I thought I would chime in on this subject...while reading this keep in mind
that I do not sell meteorites on any kind of regular basis.

One point that is the MOST important that I did not see in this discussion
(might have missed it) is that it is the BUYERS responsibility to ASK about
the shipping costs before bidding. Email the seller, ask how it will be
shipped, ask the cost, and if you do not get a satisfactory answer....GO
SOMEWHERE ELSE....it is that simple. Tell the seller if they tell you it
will be shipped by Priority Mail and it is shipped first class that you will
notify the Postal Inspector. If you are charged for a certain mail class and
they ship by another cheaper mail class that is mail fraud...a Felony. I
know this as I have the regulations here because I am licensed to print my
own postage.

I also know that the USPS takes this seriously as I have reported just such
a violation on 2 cases and both times received a refund from the seller.

You have to ask questions....pin down the seller as to the type of postage
and the amount and then make them stick to it. If they screw you even after
doing that...leave a negative and contact the postal inspector. Bidders do
not like to see negative feedback comments about being overcharged for a
mail class that the seller did not use. By emailing the seller and having
them reply to you about the type of shipping you will be using you have in
writing their admission to the crime when they ship with a different mail
class. That is all the postal inspector needs and that is the only evidence
I needed that and the box with the postage and addresses on the box.

What I do not understand is how anyone can buy anything on Ebay without
emailing the seller if they have a question. Would you buy a car that is
missing a door if the saleman acted as though the door was there? Of course
not...you would ask if the car will have the door if you buy it. Would you
buy a house without asking questions about it? If you would contact me....I
have some property JUST for you.

Everyone using ebay has to use the gray matter in their head. Look at the
item, know what it is you are buying, know what the cost will be, and then
ASK lots of questions if you have them, if you do not ask then it is YOUR
fault if you get shafted.

In the case of our items...mostly all fragile..we charge a handling fee. The
fee covers our cost of packing materials. We also state very clearly that we
charge a handling fee. That is where we differ from most sellers that charge
more than the cost of the postage.

On fragile items we charge for the popcorn and the bubblewrap per usage. On
non breakable items such as books we use media mail and charge only postage.
We use mainly Priority Mail...if you pay for priority we use priority. On
item that require a special box we charge for the box and say so in the
description. We pack items with great care and use only the proper
materials...that costs us money and we pass the cost on to the consumer. We
could add it to the starting price of the item, we prefer to charge it after
the sale and tell the bidder the extra cost....one bidder in 100 complains
and they are usually the type that would have us ship a glass plate in a
padded envelope. Most people opt out of insuring their item and our extra
care means that their risk is lessened. We finally had our first item
damaged this year by shipping....it was insured and the buyer will have the
claim money in less than 10 days.

If the item does not need bubblewrap and popcorn...such as linen...then you
pay what my scale says in my postage software and that is all.

Now that I have typed too much on the subject my point is ASK the proper
questions, if you do not get the proper response....SAVE your money for
another day.

Thanks for listening,

Mark M.
Phoenix AZ