[meteorite-list] mean streets of PF

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:50 2004

Hi Bill and all,

I have lived in the general area of Chicago all my life before 1963. Though I think
there are a lot of nice people who live in this area there area also a number of hard
core people and it isn't uncommon to hear of someone breaking down in an auto on
Chicago's south east side and running into trouble, shootings, car jackings, and a
variety of other problems (probably related to drugs). I seriously doubt you would go
into the Chicago Heights with money or anything of value out in the open during the
night time hours. You are kidding yourself if you don't think something couldn't
happen.

I live and work with people who grew up in that area and they have cautioned me,
people that lived in that area had cautioned me while I was hunting in the area so
there has to be something to the stories that I have heard. When I was in Chicago
itself one time looking for a camera store, the people in the store gave me detailed
directions on how to get to their store, and gave me areas to stay away from. They
advised me to lock my doors until at the store. Like any city it has its bad spots and
with all the people carrying wads of cash around at Park Forest, I am surprised that
someone didn't get mugged. All my best to you and the list!

--AL Mitterling