[meteorite-list] Stop Thief!, Stop

From: Fred Olsen <debfred_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:37 2004

Stop! Thief! Stop!

Notorious, internationally, known meteorite thief strikes again. After
capers in Egypt and Brazil Ron Farrell of the Universe Collection and
Bethany Science has embarked on a new bit of chicanery. He is selling
unauthorized color copies of the handmade, hand colored Ensisheim woodcut
print produced by Fred Olsen of Denver Colorado.

 I spent hundreds of hours over two years researching the original print on
which this work is based.
I visited Ensisheim, Alsace, France in August 1999 and began this project
soon after. I searched for a good image of the original broadsheet to start
with. I then modified the image, restored missing areas, altered the size
to fit the handmade paper, translated and hand wrote the caption. I then
transferred the image (mirror image) to a slab of hard maple and carefully
carved it out. I then found a printer with a centuries old press who is
versed in hand printing. Together we used hundreds of pounds of pressure to
print each image, one by one, onto the French handmade paper. Then each
print is painted by a professional artist who uses handmade (as were
available in 1492) mineral pigment paints that I make from pure mineral
crystals. The image of the Ensisheim meteorite is painted with pigments I
make from ground meteorite.

Ron "the Con" Farrell got my print from Louis Carion in Tucson in 2001, and
started
selling his rip-off color copies of my print in 2002.