[meteorite-list] EBay analysis (preliminary)

From: Jamie Stephens <j.stephens_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:37 2004

Mark,

As you mention, the legal issues you mention are copyright issues. In
my experiments, it's very likely there is no copyright issue. Courts
have generally held that simple data (like numbers, monetary amounts,
names) are not covered by copyright. I'm not messing with images or
page layouts, for example. BTW, the DCMA (Digital Millenium Copyright
Act) is changing related law in big ways. Redistribution is not
necessarily a requirement for infringement. IANAL = I am not a lawyer!

Instead, it's a user agreement issue -- as written as well as
communicated, applied, and enforced. The 'robots.txt' file, the FAQ's
about auction management software, the language about being a "venue",
and other behavior and communication are relevant here. (But I don't
wish to challenge them.)

As you said, definitely curious -- with EBay and more generally.

BTW, I have started the discussion with EBay to attempt to get
permission for aggregating data in specific ways. We'll see where
that leads.

Re tax issues: I hope the IRS had better means that looking at
some amateur data that totalled well under $1M across many individuals!
If I were the IRS, I'd head straight to EBay (and PayPal). No messing
around. The IRS doesn't have to.

Just to be clear: if I do publish more data, I will not use names of
any kind -- regardless of any right I might actually have to do so.

--Jamie