[meteorite-list] Aurora as seen from UK

From: STUARTATK_at_aol.com <STUARTATK_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:36 2004

--part1_16e.25a9718c.2cd1c264_boundary

Hi guys,

Just got back in from watching the aurora (my talk went v well by the way!
Thanks again to everyone who helped!) and it's been pretty impressive... I say
*been* because the Lake District is now totally blanketted with cloud and mist
- but the aurora is still visible as a very pale, powdery-green glow
**behind** the cloud... Earlier the entire northern sky was full of milky-blue coloured
beams, stretching up to the zenith, and occasionally they all merged together
into a wall of light, tinged rose-red at the top... and in blank areas of sky
rapidly-moving patches of paler red light could be seen fluttering in and out
of view...

Am going to grab an hour's sleep now, and when I wake hopefully the sky will
be clear! Frost is forecast here tonight, so fingers crossed... and good luck
all of you west of me, for whom night has yet to fall...

Stu

P.S. The Sun fired-off another big flare earlier today, so we may all get a
second chance tomorrow night...

--part1_16e.25a9718c.2cd1c264_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Hi guys,<BR>
<BR>
Just got back in from watching the aurora (my talk went v well by the way! T=
hanks again to everyone who helped!) and it's been pretty impressive... I sa=
y *been* because the Lake District is now totally blanketted with cloud and=20=
mist - but the aurora is still visible as a very pale, powdery-green glow **=
behind** the cloud... Earlier the entire northern sky was full of milky-blue=
 coloured beams, stretching up to the zenith, and occasionally they all merg=
ed together into a wall of light, tinged rose-red at the top... and in blank=
 areas of sky rapidly-moving patches of paler red light could be seen flutte=
ring in and out of view...<BR>
<BR>
Am going to grab an hour's sleep now, and when I wake hopefully the sky will=
 be clear! Frost is forecast here tonight, so fingers crossed... and good lu=
ck all of you west of me, for whom night has yet to fall...<BR>
<BR>
Stu<BR>
<BR>
P.S. The Sun fired-off another big flare earlier today, so we may all get a=20=
second chance tomorrow night...</FONT></HTML>

--part1_16e.25a9718c.2cd1c264_boundary--