[meteorite-list] EBay analysis (preliminary)

From: j.divelbiss_at_att.net <j.divelbiss_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:36 2004

Jamie,

I think your decision to omit names is a good one. Anyone who follows ebay
closely knows who is doing a lot or a little in general terms. It is simple
to search specific buyers and sellers to see how much they have bought or
sold over a period of time. Personally I could care less about those kinds of
things(about individuals). Trends are interesting and your method of
gathering info might enlighten the group as to what is going on over a period
of time...say months. The two weeks that you did is just a brief snapshot in
time that doesn't offer up too much information.

Michael Blood could probably use this kind of trending for his monthly
article. As for individual trends...well that certainly changes with time for
most buyers. Many active individuals from a year or two ago hardly bid at all
these days. Only a few continue to buy at a steady pace, spending a fair
amount of money. Good luck trying to trend me and most others...it will mean
nothing. Selling in bursts also happens for most...with the obvious few who
are steady sellers from week to week.

As for providing headswelling fodder and breaking news for those hungry for
such attention and grand standing...well they are (I mean HE is) more than
capable of letting us know about their offerings and conquests...usually in
triplicate, BOLD LETTERS and profound statements.

So send the trends and leave out the names is my vote.

John