[meteorite-list] AW: New Mars Meteorite Found In Morocco (NWA 1950)

From: j.divelbiss_at_att.net <j.divelbiss_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:36 2004

Hello all,

Just adding to my own comments:

1. I found a URL that has the gabroic triangle I mentioned in my earlier post
(it is the second figure half way down webpage), and it is listed below.

http://www.mpch-mainz.mpg.de/~jesnow/Ozeanboden/1998/Week1/Mineralogy.html

2. A list member from Europe gave me his understanding of these rocks and it
is listed below. Since we are both novices I'll protect his name.

mafic to ultra-mafic rocks sequence in the following manner

coarse grained rocks of this nature are:
Diorite, gabbro, olivine-gabbro, peridotite, dunite

medium grained rocks:
Micro-diorite, dolerite(diabase in USA), olivine-dolerite, peridotite, dunite

fine-grained rocks:
Andesite, basalt, olivine-basalt, peridotite, dunite

Therefore:
1. Chassigny is the ultra-mafic Martian rock or dunite.
2. The latest Lherzolite shergottite(NWA 1950) is a Martian peridotite.
3. Most other shergottites are either basalts like Zagami, olivine-basalts
(phyrics) like 1068 and other NWA's, etc., or the olivine dolerite Dhofar 019
being sold these days.
4. Nakhlites are clinopyroxenites.
5. ALH 84001 is a orthopyroxenite.

As I said...and confirmed by our colleague, the shergottites surely do cover
a number of different types of rocks making it necessary to differentiate
them in some manner. Hope this helps.

Thanx for reading,

John