[meteorite-list] NASA Opens Kecksburg Docs

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:35 2004

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2003-10/24/12.00.sfc

NASA Opens Kecksburg Docs
Sci Fi Channel
October 24, 2004

NASA has agreed to turn over documents relating to the alleged crash of a UFO
in Kecksburg, Pa., in 1965, the SCI FI Channel announced. The news comes a day
after SCI FI said it would pursue legal action against the National Aeronautics
and Space Administration to release its records on the incident.

NASA informed Lee Helfrich, attorney for the Channel-sponsored Coalition for
Freedom of Information, that it is releasing 36 pages of documents, the Channel
said.

The release comes after 10 months of pursuing the records through the Freedom of
Information Act. The Department of Defense and the U.S. Army have yet to release
any records under similar requests, the Channel said.

"For more than four months we have received no response from NASA, but one day
after John Podesta, President Clinton's former chief of staff and member of the
Moynihan Commission, and Bonnie Hammer, president of SCI FI Channel, called on
government agencies to make public records that are over 25 years old, lo and
behold, NASA responds," Helfrich said in a statement.

"I think it's fair to say that we have truly entered the realm of science fiction
in Washington, D.C., when it's fair game to disclose the identity of a clandestine
CIA agent, but not the records of an unexplained crash in Kecksburg, Pa., that
occurred 38 years ago," Podesta said at a news conference this week.

On Dec. 9, 1965, witnesses described seeing a fireball in the sky, a controlled
landing and the systematic military recovery of an object. The incident is the
subject of the original SCI FI Channel documentary The New Rosell: Kecksburg
Exposed, hosted by Bryant Gumbel, which premieres Oct. 24 at 9 p.m. ET/PT.