[meteorite-list] Recognizing a Venusian meteorite

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:35 2004

Gee,
    You mean, we could have been a nice "normal" planet like Venus if it wasn't for
the sheer bad luck of getting that ol' Devil Moon delivered to our doorstep?
    Shucks, I hate to think of having to miss those 100-bar CO2 breezes, particularly
the ones with that whiff of fresh Argon, when I get up in the morning and trundle
down to the nearest stream to get a cup of molten lead right from the source...
    I could go for the idea, except for one other old problem: the water. The total
water content of Venus is about one bucket of warm spit. If that's "normal," then how
could the proto-Moon impactor deliver world-wide oceans to the Earth? And if all the
water here now outgassed from the Earth, why didn't as much water outgas from Venus?
It should still be there, since it's almost impossible to transport water high enough
in the Venusian atmosphere for it to escape...
    If a giant Venusian impactor was a 200 km. comet, it would certainly have enough
CO2 for Venus' new atmosphere, BUT, again, where'd the water go??! On the other hand,
if the impactor were a rocky body and pre-impact Venus had a substantial surface
accumulation of carbonates... No problem.
    There a nice study by Zahnle and Sleep, "Impacts and the Early Evolution of
Life," which despite its title is really about modelling mega-impacts. They start
with "little" mega-impacts like the ones that obliterate all life on Earth and work
up to the really big ones, like "Boils All The Oceans" and "Planets With An
Atmosphere of Rock Vapor"! They have a talent for thinking Big and Nasty. And they
demonstrate that we still have to stretch our minds to understand impacts as big as,
say, the one that produced the Imbrium basin on the Moon. The Earth should have
suffered about 18 that size.
    The real problem is that Venus is a bitch! (Pardon my Pig Latin, although I
suppose the ancient Romans would agree.) Everything we learn about it raises three
more questions than it answers. We are at the important stage of enlarging our
ignorance, something you have to do before you learn anything. Great stuff,
ignorance.
    You are definitely right about one thing: the Earth is not "normal." It's so wet;
it has no stable surface, with all those strange tectonics going on all the time;
it's accompanied by a "double" planet in virtually the same orbit; and it's infested
by a jillion different kinds of molecular parasites: it is one weird place!
    Still, I'm enjoying my stay there...

Sterling