[meteorite-list] Green Glow Over North Carolina Could Have Been Meteor Sh...

From: GeoZay_at_aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:34 2004

-------------------------------1066852529

>>And Tammy Denning, who lives about 10 minutes south of Creedmoor, off
Redwood Road, said she saw what she believed was a UFO the previous night,
Sunday, while smoking outside her home.<<
I wonder what she was smoking? :o)
>>"Unfortunately, I missed it myself," UNC's Carney said. He added that the
object probably was a relatively large meteor from the Orionids.
Faye Daniels said she was driving near Falls Lake around 8:45 p.m. Monday
when the object caught her attention.<<

The Orionid radiant rises near 11pm....If it was seen near 8:45 pm...it
stands a better chance being a flying saucer than an orionid. :o)

>>"People can go out some clear night this week around midnight and probably
see 20 to 30 meteors per hour at its peak," the astronomer said. "The
nucleus of a comet is often described as a dirty iceberg. That green glow
people have described might have been metals producing a variety of colors
as they're burning -- copper, nickel, iron, maybe."<<

Or more than likely colors given off from atoms in the atmosphere such as
nitrogen and oxygen as they get excited from the passing meteoroid.
George Zay

-------------------------------1066852529

<HTML><HEAD>
<META charset=3DUTF-8 http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charse=
t=3Dutf-8">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1106" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: blue=20=
2px solid"><BR><FONT face=3DArial><BR><BR>&gt;&gt;And Tammy Denning, who liv=
es about 10 minutes south of Creedmoor, off<BR>Redwood Road, said she saw wh=
at she believed was a UFO the previous night,<BR>Sunday, while smoking outsi=
de her home.&lt;&lt;</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE>
<DIV>I wonder what she was smoking?&nbsp; :o)</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: blue=20=
2px solid"><FONT face=3DArial>&gt;&gt;"Unfortunately, I missed it myself," U=
NC's Carney said. He added that the<BR>object probably was a relatively larg=
e meteor from the Orionids.</FONT><BR><FONT face=3DArial>Faye Daniels said s=
he was driving near Falls Lake around 8:45 p.m. Monday<BR>when the object ca=
ught her attention.&lt;&lt;<BR><BR></FONT>The Orionid radiant rises near 11p=
m....If it was seen near 8:45 pm...it stands a better chance being a flying=20=
saucer than an orionid.&nbsp; :o) </BLOCKQUOTE><FONT face=3DArial>
<DIV><BR>&gt;&gt;"People can go out some clear night this week around midnig=
ht and probably<BR>see 20 to 30 meteors per hour at its peak," the astronome=
r said. "The<BR>nucleus of a comet is often described as a dirty iceberg. Th=
at green glow<BR>people have described might have been metals producing a va=
riety of colors<BR>as they're burning -- copper, nickel, iron, maybe."&lt;&l=
t;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Or more than likely colors given off from atoms in the atmosphere such=20=
as nitrogen and oxygen as they get excited from the passing meteoroid. </DIV=

<DIV>George Zay</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>