[meteorite-list] Orissa Meteorite Fragments Classified as an Iron Meteorite

From: vishnu reddy <moonyguy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:34 2004

Hi Mike and everyone,

I totally agree with you. It is not an Iron as far as I know. The GSI guys (with due respect to
them) are a bunch of morons with little or no interest in what they do. I am enclosing a copy of
the email I just got from Dr Bhandari of PRL who has done some work on the fragments I gave him
and he collected. On the other hand, being an ex-journalist myself, I am pretty sure that the
newpaper would have added their own version of the story.
clear skies
Vishnu

Dear Vishnu,
The sample U sent looks like Orissa meteorite.I am reasonably sure that it
is genuine. It was too small to make any measurments and we are stiill working on the larger
fragment we have. After that measurement is complete we will try your fragment.
All I can say at the moment is it is a veined chondrite of grade six.Other
results will be required to classify it properly, but that will take
time.
Best wishes
N.Bhandari
Sender:
Dr. Narendra Bhandari
Project coordinator,National Planetary Science & Exploration Programme
(ISRO-PLANEX)
Vice President, International Lunar Exploration working Group (ILEWG)
and
Senior Professor,
Planetary and Geosciences division,
Physical Research Laboratory,
Navrangpura, Ahmedabad -380 009,India.
Telephone (PRL) (O) 0091-79-6302129 Ext.4266, Fax 0091-79-6301502
           (Thaltej) 6853966,6856623 Ext 2009,FAX 6425037