[meteorite-list] Collecting Habits

From: Martin Horejsi <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:33 2004

--Boundary_(ID_5fpaf53W+KFXGg1Nyd1OSw)

Hi Walter and all,

Your question is a good one and one I approached it in my own way in my
Accretion Desk column in the Meteorite Times ( http://www.meteoritetimes.co=
) with my new series on what I call esoteric collecting. From time to time,
I will focus on a less-than-popular collecting focus. For the first
installment, I addressed those specimens that have more than one collection
number painted on them. I have many more possible directions, some more
sound than others, but all designed to stimulate the imagination. Something
it sounds like you are doing as well.

I would like to hear more of what you imagine took place before the formal
discovery of a specimen. It is just recreational though, but something dear
to my heart and brain.

I have also found the same meteoritical daydreaming when I put the stories
together in my column =8CFrom the Strewnfields=B9 in Meteorite Magazine. It is
easy to list the facts as the Meteoritical Bulletin does a good job of that=
,
but I want to bring the story to life, to take the reader to the dusty
fields of Idaho... oops, you will have to wait till the latest Meteorite
arrives in your mailbox for the rest on that one.

Cheers,

Martin

On 10/20/03 4:30 PM, "Walter Branch" <branchw_at_bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
> =20
> I have been thinking of the different ways to collect meteorites (e.g., t=
ype,
> class, location, etc.) and I was wondering if anyone would care to descr=
ibe
> their collecting specialties or subspecialties. The reason I ask is beca=
use I
> have gotten interested in a sort of unusual specialty area - the find or =
fall
> consisting of a single specimen. TKW is not an issue as it would be pair=
ed
> with no other specimen.
> =20
> An image comes to my mind of a single, lonely meteorite, a common chondri=
te,
> out on the plains of the midwest US (for example) sitting there for hundr=
eds
> if not thousands of years, just waiting to be found by anyone. Maybe it =
was
> looked and wondered about scores of times by many a passerby or maybe jus=
> ignored.
> =20
> Anyone else have this interest? I would be interested in hearing about o=
thers
> collecting interests.
> =20
> Best wishes,
> =20
> -Walter
> www.branchmeteorites.com <http://www.branchmeteorites.com>
> Walter Branch, Ph.D.
> Branch Meteorites
> PO Box 60492
> Savannah, GA 31420
> =20
>=20
> =20
>=20

--Boundary_(ID_5fpaf53W+KFXGg1Nyd1OSw)

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [meteorite-list] Collecting Habits</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE="Verdana">Hi Walter and all,<BR>
<BR>
Your question is a good one and one I approached it in my own way in my Accretion Desk column in the Meteorite Times ( http://www.meteoritetimes.com ) with my new series on what I call esoteric collecting. From time to time, I will focus on a less-than-popular collecting focus. For the first installment, I addressed those specimens that have more than one collection number painted on them. I have many more possible directions, some more sound than others, but all designed to stimulate the imagination. Something it sounds like you are doing as well.<BR>
<BR>
I would like to hear more of what you imagine took place before the formal discovery of a specimen. It is just recreational though, but something dear to my heart and brain.<BR>
<BR>
I have also found the same meteoritical daydreaming when I put the stories together in my column &#8216;From the Strewnfields&#8217; in Meteorite Magazine. It is easy to list the facts as the Meteoritical Bulletin does a good job of that, but I want to bring the story to life, to take the reader to the dusty fields of Idaho... oops, you will have to wait till the latest Meteorite arrives in your mailbox for the rest on that one.<BR>
<BR>
Cheers,<BR>
<BR>
Martin<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
On 10/20/03 4:30 PM, &quot;Walter Branch&quot; &lt;branchw_at_bellsouth.net&gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE="2"><FONT FACE="Arial">Hello Everyone,<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE="Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE="2"><FONT FACE="Arial">I have been thinking of the different ways to collect meteorites (e.g., type, class, location, etc.) &nbsp;and I was wondering if anyone would care to describe their collecting specialties or subspecialties. &nbsp;The reason I ask is because I have gotten interested in a sort of unusual specialty area - the find or fall consisting of a single specimen. &nbsp;TKW is not an issue as it would be paired with no other specimen.<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE="Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE="2"><FONT FACE="Arial">An image comes to my mind of a single, lonely meteorite, a common chondrite, out on the plains of the midwest US (for example) sitting there for hundreds if not thousands of years, just waiting to be found by anyone. &nbsp;Maybe it was looked and wondered about scores of times by many a passerby or maybe just ignored.<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE="Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE="2"><FONT FACE="Arial">Anyone else have this interest? &nbsp;I would be interested in hearing about others collecting interests.<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE="Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE="2"><FONT FACE="Arial">Best wishes,<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE="Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE="2"><FONT FACE="Arial">-Walter<BR>
------------------------------------------<BR>
www.branchmeteorites.com &lt;http://www.branchmeteorites.com&gt; <BR>
Walter Branch, Ph.D.<BR>
Branch Meteorites<BR>
PO Box 60492<BR>
Savannah, GA &nbsp;31420<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE="Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE="2"><FONT FACE="Arial"><BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE="Verdana"> <BR>
<BR>
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE="Verdana"><BR>
</FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_5fpaf53W+KFXGg1Nyd1OSw)--