[meteorite-list] Re: Leonids 2003

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:32 2004

--0-1386058005-1066667586=:42785

Actually, Robert,

Not that colossal of a mistake. Your post caused me to look up the details that I had forgotten from last year. In fact I cannot remember much of what happened last year at all. That bug that caused encepalomylitis pretty much erased two years of my memory, besides putting me in a place to see the life to come.

And my short term memory is bad, too; so even though I found the information on the net, I had to look it up again afterwards.

The first peak will be on the morning of the 13th, not the 14th as I stated, at about 17:30 hrs UT. So, even though I read something. If I don't jot it down, I am apt to muddle it badly later.

I think Europe will be favored for the one on the moring of the 13th, the one on the 19th will favor the US, especially the East coast.

There might be some nice fireballs in these, so it could be worth while staying up and dressing warmly. What I have used in the past to stay warm is the Coleman "Black Cat" heater, the one with the catalytic converter screen, and not the one that has a cherry red ball in a parbolic dish. I'll get a folding chair and set the catalytic heater under it with a blanket thrown over me and the heat will rise and keep me toasty warm. You want to be careful though, as these put out quite a bit of heat and you could heat your backside more than you wanted. Another way is to put the heater in a metal crate infront of your legs to keep the heat off of the blanket but directed toward you. You can also place it behind you facing the back of your chair. I have done it either way, and it is nice to be warm with a cup of coffee in the cold Novermber night watching the stars, and hoping to see a show. Last year my wife, who hates the cold sat out in my blanket covered setup with heater and
 enjoyed the show with me. It is a lot of fun.

Steve Schoner/ams

Robert Woolard <meteoritefinder_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
Hello Steve and list,

I cannot beleive I made such a colossal mistake. I
knew the "main" peak of the shower was the 19th of
NOVEMBER, not October. I really did. But for some
completely unknown reason to me, I had it in my head
that it was yesterday! Man, I feel like such an idiot!
I'm so embarrased that I sent that email. In my
defense, I must say that I am MAJOR sleep deprived
right now though, as I've just come off a week of
night shifts, and am in the middle of moving to a new
house and packing up 19 years worth of stuff here, and
getting about 3 hrs of sleep a day. Yeah, THAT must be
the reason I've lost track of time. Either that or
when I was under my house, I caught some of that nasty
bug you suffered through, Steve. ;-)

Thanks for setting me straight, Steve. I'm gonna'
go hide now.

Robert

--0-1386058005-1066667586=:42785

<DIV>Actually, Robert,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Not that&nbsp;colossal&nbsp;of a mistake.&nbsp; Your post&nbsp;caused me to look up the details that I had forgotten from last year.&nbsp; In fact I cannot remember much of what happened last year at all.&nbsp; That bug that caused encepalomylitis pretty much erased two years of my memory, besides putting me in a place to see the life to come.</DIV>
<DIV><BR>And my short term memory is bad, too; so even though I found the information on the net, I had to look it up again afterwards. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The first peak will be on the morning of the 13th, not the 14th as I stated, at about 17:30 hrs UT.&nbsp; So, even though I read something.&nbsp; If I don't jot it down, I am apt to muddle it badly later.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I think Europe will be favored for the one on the moring of the 13th, the one on the 19th will favor the US, especially the East coast.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>There might be some nice fireballs in these, so it could be worth while staying up and dressing warmly.&nbsp;&nbsp; What I have used in the past to stay warm is the Coleman "Black Cat" heater, the one with the catalytic converter screen, and not the one that has a cherry red ball in a parbolic dish.&nbsp; I'll get a folding chair and set&nbsp;the catalytic heater&nbsp;under it with a blanket thrown over me and the heat will rise and keep me toasty warm.&nbsp; You want to be careful though, as these put out quite a bit of heat and you could heat your backside more than you wanted.&nbsp;&nbsp; Another way is to put the heater in a metal crate infront of your legs to keep the heat off of the blanket but directed toward you.&nbsp;&nbsp; You can also place it behind you facing the back of your chair.&nbsp;&nbsp; I have done it either way, and it is nice to be warm with a cup of coffee in the cold Novermber night watching the stars, and hoping to see a show.&nbsp;&nbsp; Last year my
 wife, who hates the cold sat out in my blanket covered setup with heater and enjoyed the show with me.&nbsp; It is a lot of fun.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Steve Schoner/ams</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><BR><B><I>Robert Woolard &lt;meteoritefinder_at_yahoo.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">Hello Steve and list,<BR><BR>I cannot beleive I made such a colossal mistake. I<BR>knew the "main" peak of the shower was the 19th of<BR>NOVEMBER, not October. I really did. But for some<BR>completely unknown reason to me, I had it in my head<BR>that it was yesterday! Man, I feel like such an idiot!<BR>I'm so embarrased that I sent that email. In my<BR>defense, I must say that I am MAJOR sleep deprived<BR>right now though, as I've just come off a week of<BR>night shifts, and am in the middle of moving to a new<BR>house and packing up 19 years worth of stuff here, and<BR>getting about 3 hrs of sleep a day. Yeah, THAT must be<BR>the reason I've lost track of time. Either that or<BR>when I was under my house, I caught some of that nasty<BR>bug you suffered through, Steve. ;-)<BR><BR>Thanks for setting me straight, Steve. I'm gonna'<BR>go hide
 now.<BR><BR>Robert<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>__________________________________<BR>Do you Yahoo!?<BR>The New Yahoo! Shopping - with improved product search<BR>http://shopping.yahoo.com</BLOCKQUOTE><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
--0-1386058005-1066667586=:42785--