[meteorite-list] Silicates in Taza

From: Fred Olsen <debfred_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:32 2004

List,
I want to bring you up to date on the suspected silicated Taza. I spent a
couple of hours cleaning that little beauty and found that the little pits
and pockets did contain silicates. Quartz in the form of desert sand was the
silicate and was very well cemented and hard to identify until I cleaned the
specimen. The bullet like oriented nosecone Shows both triangular
expressions of the internal crystal structure and the radiating flow lines
formed on its passage through the atmosphere. While I thought there was a
possibility that this Taza might contain olivine I am sort of relieved that
there are still no known tazas that contain silicate inclusions. I am also
glad some one asked the question and got me to clean my Taza after 8 months
in a box. Regards. Fred Olsen