AW: [meteorite-list] Anomalous and Ungrouped Ordinary Chondrites

From: Norbert Classen <trifid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:32 2004

Hi John, and list,

As to the ungrouped HaH 180, and Deakin 001, it has been suggested
that both represent samples of a new and previously unsampled parent
body. If that holds to be true, they will never get a LL or L
classification. Ungrouped just means that a sample can't be
assigned to any of the established groups, and that means also
that they do most probably represent a unique parent body. Now,
if we find three more meteorites like HaH 180, or Deakin 001,
scientists will most likely create a new group, and then these
samples won't be ungrouped, any longer.

The term "anomalous" is used for meteorites that actually can be
assigned to an existing group, but that differ in some aspects from
the other known members of that group. Thus, HaH 180 isn't anomalous,
it's simply ungrouped.

Short: an ungrouped chondrite most probably stems from an asteroid
that hasn't been sampled so far. An anomalous LL, for example, is
most probably from the LL parent body/asteroid, but it differs from
the other LL members in some respect. The petrologic grades have
nothing to do with that, and of course an ungrouped chondrite can
be a 3.5, or a plain 6.

Hope this helps ;-)

Best,
Norbert