[meteorite-list] nitric acid disposal

From: Robert Woolard <meteoritefinder_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:31 2004

--- "E.J" <jonee_at_epix.net> wrote:
> IF I remember the admonitions of my chemistry
> teacher correctly..NEVER
> add Acid to the water but add water to the acid.
> Should there be a
> boil up you'll get wet and not disolved.

 Elton

  Hello Elton and list,

  I think it's the other way around, isn't it??

  Perhaps this explains why:

Never add water to acid, the heat of hydration could
boil the water/acid mixture as the first drops of
water mix with the acid.

When you add acid to water, it takes a lot of heat to
boil the large volume of water that you are hopefully
using.

Or, using this memory aid:

 Lab Safety - Remembering that you add Acid to Water
not Water to Acid

AW can be a short form for "Acid to Water"; WA can be
a short form for "Water to Acid". When verbalized, AW
sounds pleasant and good. "Ahhhh!". WA sounds menacing
and bad, "WAAAAAHHHHHH!. If you can introduce this
laboratory safety rule to your students with lots of
enthusiasm, most will remember the rule because of
your antics.

I hope this helps...

  (But it's been a LONG time since high school
chemistry! ;-)

  Sincerely,

  Robert Woolard