[meteorite-list] Re: india meteorite fall

From: Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:26 2004

Oh Harlan, how I crave some good old steaks! Of
course, beef is NOT on the menu here. I must say
though, that the food is among the best I have ever
eaten. Iwas terried of this trip for one reason, I
HATE CURRY! However, it seems that curry is not on the
menu so much in Orissa, GIANT prawns from the Bay of
Bengal are however, and I mean huge, the last 3 days I
have eaten nothing but prawns, the size of Main
Lobsters, these would cost at least $40 to $50 at
home, and here I pay about $4 for plate of prawns so
large that I can't even finish them, and I am a large
guy who can eat alot of prawns! Gerlic prawns, spicy
pepper prawnes, black pepper prawns, you name it, I
have loved every bit of food I have eaten here. But
beef would sure taste good, and there are so many cows
around........ hmmmmm, I have a knife and a rock.
Anyway, I am not the least bit sick, which also shocks
me since I brought a huge amount of medicine for
diorhea, seems to be not needed.
Mike Farmer
--- harlan trammell <skyrox_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

---------------------------------

thanx 4 the stories! sounds like you need a good
airboat and a tommy gun w/ a drum clip! hope you
find more skyrox- you have definitely paid the price.
this kow talk makes me wanna go get a steak.
headed to ruth's chris as a result of your stories
to get a fix. nice to read your post for those of us
who will never go. there seems to be lots of
electronic diarrhea on this list now instead of
skyrock talk anf your posts breath liife back into
the list. good luck and thanx again.>From: Michael
Farmer

>From: Michael Farmer
>To: meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com
>Subject: [meteorite-list] India Meteorite Report from
the scene
>Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 22:53:26 -0700 (PDT)
>
>Hi everyone, internet here is little better than
smoke
>signals, it has taken me almost 2 hours to go through

>50 emails, so slow, and Matteo's crying like a 2 year

>old baby. Matteo, shut the hell up, PLEASE, if I see
>another email about "Other people is make prices
ruin"
>I will have to beat the hell out of you when I see
you
>(Just kidding, but only a little).
>OK
>I am in the strewnfield.
>I have a small piece of the meteorite. IT is an H
>chondrite and similar to Zag, veining and
>slickensides.
>There is EXTREME flooding here, all parts are under
>water, there is NO HOPE of recovering more material
>unless it is simply in a village and not known about
>yet. the strewnfield is some miles long, traveling
>between two villages that the local assured me were
>only 5 km apart by air took over 2 hours by road (if
>you can call it that). India is beautiful and
horrible
>at the same time. The road is covered with untold
>thousands of people, dogs, cows, goats, etc, NONE of
>which move or are even slightly annoyed by the
>incessant use of the horn, we actually ran over a
dogs
>foot yesterday, he would not move until the car ran
>right over him. I felt sorry for it but then again if

>anything is that stupid.....
>I also wish I had a gun with me, to put some of the
>stupidist creature on the planet (The cow) out of
>their misery (or ignorant bliss) whichever it is.
>There are thousands of them, laying in the roads,
cars
>just go around them whereever possible.
> the entire area is flooded, and I mean bad, hundreds

>of thousands of miles under water, looks like the
>ocean with small patched of trees and huts standing
>out of it. Roads are almost not more than small
trails
>with everyone and everything blocking them.
>Most of the meteorite has been taken by the police, I

>am working on tracking down a couple of pieces, but
it
>looks hopeless as it takes me 6 hours to get to the
>area even though it is only 70 miles away, the max
>spees is about 10 miles an hour on the highway and
>about 2 miles an hour on the village route.
>these are small villages, I mean aobut 10 familes
>each, no electricity, nothing more than some mud huts

>in a land of mud. I had to go on motorcycle for a few

>miles last night with a spectacular lightning show in

>the distance, it was the most eery and beatiful drive

>I have ever taken, the flooded swampland, cool wind,
>nice people and all made me fell like I was in some
>sort of 16 th century expedition. When we got to the
>village, the people showed me where a 6-8 kilo stone
>fell, coming down right down the slanted roof of a
>hut, denting in the grass roof and making a large
>crater at the base of the hut. That stone was taken 2

>days ago, but I have two competing guys traking down
>the person who took it, to get it for me. We will see

>if this hut smasher comes home with me. I do have a
13
>gram fragment of it, (They smashed it). The meteorite

>is like Zag, large veins and slickensides.
>The 6 hour trip back to town last night was the most
>harrowing of my life, I would say at least 50 near
>head on collisions with giant trucks, busses, all
>without lights, cars on the wrong side of the road,
>washed out roads, cows of course (and they would much

>rather drive off a cliff and die than kill a cow
>here!).
>there should be hundreds of stones, but it is all
>rivers and swamps and rice paddies, all under several

>feet of water, so virtually none will be recovered.
>I saw photos of the 5 kilo stone, very nice.
>Anyway, sorry for the format of this email, but using

>the computer here is not easy.
> Anyone thinking of coming to get some, forget it, as

>it is, with my 13 gram piece, i will have paid over
>$400.00 gram for my piece! But I will have memories
of
>a lifetime of this hunt, which doing it alone, I
>already consider by far my most exotic and
>interesting.
>the people in the villages do not speak english or
>Hindi, but Orissi, a local tribal language.
>the meteorite fell only about 1/2 mile from the Bay
of