[meteorite-list] hunting, A good subject!!!!

From: Mark Ferguson <mafer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:24 2004

Hi Tom and list

I did some research on meteoritic iron for a paper in college and its
interesting to note that in some cultures the stones were revered and some
even were buried with rituals while irons were often used for knives. I read
that the Cape York iron was found (analysis done matched the material to
Cape York) as far as 2200 Km from its impact site. So, meteoritic iron was
well traded. This also was found for an iron from Kansas which was found as
far away in Hopewellian earth structures on the Ohio River. This may only
apply to irons which were found and not observed to have fallen by ancient
peoples since the observed falls tended to be treated differently.
So, if one is hunting for meteorites which were placed in special spots by
native Americans, I would research the ancient trade routes, and if any are
found, you then have to report it, and, you must then leave it as found as
an artifact which is covered under laws for native peoples and let
professional archaeologists study it before anything is disturbed. Its
almost a sure bet that it will then either be attached as a find by the
university that the archaeologist works for or!, it, being on native lands,
would have to be reported to the tribe which has jurisdiction over that land
for further investigation.
Mark