[meteorite-list] Garza Impact Display and Other Concerns

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:23 2004

Dear List Members,

It is with deep regret that we have to announce that the Garza bedroom
interpretative impact display will not debut in Tucson 2004. As most of you
know this project was to be managed in a partnership between Adam and Greg
Hupe (66.6%) and R.A. Langheinrich Meteorites, A.k.a. the Langs (33.4%).
We tried everything short of a full-blown legal remedy to complete this
project because of a falling out between the Langs and us. The current
status of the display is that it is being stored in New York where we have
been denied access even though we paid most of the costs associated with it.
We worked with a well-known mediator to try to negotiate the purchase of the
Langs' share of this display and settle other accounts and reached a dead
end (no response). We consulted two attorneys and threatened legal action
but still no response therefor we will be unable to make the deadline.

This is not the first time a partnership with the Langs has disintegrated
but hopefully it will be the last. We were saddened to hear that this kind
of thing has happened in the past. Several ex-partners of theirs
approached us after hearing of the problems and said they wished they could
have warned us. Even if they had we probably would not have believed them
because the Langs are very likeable and we had a good level of trust and
respect before being invited to partner with them. This brings about
another point; we declined participation in the Westward Look Resort 2004
show at Tucson because this would mean continuing a failed partnership.

We would not have aired this in public but we were not given a chance to
tell our side of the story. Al Lang, lacking professional ethics, took it
upon himself to make several false statements regarding us at the
Springfield show and on other occasions. Since we were not in attendance we
had no chance to debate these false claims. We always behaved in an
honorable, open and fair way regarding past business and therefor have
nothing to hide. Anybody who has any questions or concerns is welcome to
call us, email us and we will provide you with our phone number. We would
be very happy to back up our side of the story with emails, receipts,
statements and affidavits. Several collectors felt uneasy about what they
heard and have already contacted us. This is the reason we are inviting
those who are unsure what to believe to contact us. We are not asking
anybody to choose sides because some of you have been friends with the Langs
for years and most were treated fairly. We are just asking for the
opportunity to be heard and clear up any reputation concerns.

Wishing everybody the best,

Adam and Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection
IMCA 2185