[meteorite-list] New Orleans strike...

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:23 2004

--0-158783952-1065655798=:11055

A bulk analysis of small mm samples of a chondrite might not reflect the bulk analysis of a larger contiguous sample that represents the structure of the entire mass.

So, before any conclusions are made it might be best to wait for that bulk analysis made from a larger sample..

Steve Schoner/ams

Dave Harris <entropydave_at_ntlworld.com> wrote:
Hi,
Just wondered if anyone has any of the 23rd Sept New Orleans strike?

Because amazingly enough I have!!

I have a friend in NO and he recovered some samples from the gutters using a
large magnet. He is a professional geologist at the local uni and has very
kindly sent me a mm-sized fragment that he recovered legitimately! He
hasalso supplied an initial analysis, and he says:

"I got the first batch of data, high Mg-olivine, 32-44 % MgO, 11-16 % FeO,
plus 0.5 % MnO! Rather surprising, a bit high for a meteorite. The
pyroxenes are diopsidic to hgh Mg-pigeonitic. And the plagioclases are
surprisingly Na-rich for a meteorite, over 8% Na2O. A weird meteorite"

Maybe someone can advise me as to the nearest equivalent fall by looking at
this profile.

I am rather proud of it and feel the overwhelming urge to boast about it, as
there is very little in my collection to impress!

Share in my joy please!

very best

dave

IMCA #0092

--0-158783952-1065655798=:11055

<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>A bulk analysis of small mm samples of a chondrite might not reflect the bulk analysis of a larger contiguous sample that represents the structure of the entire mass.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>So, before any conclusions are made it might be best to wait for that bulk analysis made from a larger sample..</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Steve Schoner/ams</DIV>
<DIV><BR><BR><B><I>Dave Harris &lt;entropydave_at_ntlworld.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">Hi,<BR>Just wondered if anyone has any of the 23rd Sept New Orleans strike?<BR><BR>Because amazingly enough I have!!<BR><BR>I have a friend in NO and he recovered some samples from the gutters using a<BR>large magnet. He is a professional geologist at the local uni and has very<BR>kindly sent me a mm-sized fragment that he recovered legitimately! He<BR>hasalso supplied an initial analysis, and he says:<BR><BR>"I got the first batch of data, high Mg-olivine, 32-44 % MgO, 11-16 % FeO,<BR>plus 0.5 % MnO! Rather surprising, a bit high for a meteorite. The<BR>pyroxenes are diopsidic to hgh Mg-pigeonitic. And the plagioclases are<BR>surprisingly Na-rich for a meteorite, over 8% Na2O. A weird meteorite"<BR><BR>Maybe someone can advise me as to the nearest equivalent fall by looking at<BR>this profile.<BR><BR>I am rather proud of it and feel the overwhelming urge to boast about it,
 as<BR>there is very little in my collection to impress!<BR><BR><BR>Share in my joy please!<BR><BR><BR>very best<BR><BR>dave<BR><BR>IMCA #0092<BR><BR>______________________________________________<BR>Meteorite-list mailing list<BR>Meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com<BR>http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/meteorite-list</BLOCKQUOTE></DIV></DIV><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
--0-158783952-1065655798=:11055--