[meteorite-list] Hotshot's meteor in photo is genuine 4/10 - Western Mail

From: (wrong string) ørn Sørheim <bsoerhei_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:22 2004

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0200wales/page.cfm?objectid=13480248
&method=full&siteid=50082

Hotshot's meteor in photo is genuine Oct 4 2003

Carl Yapp, The Western Mail

RED-FACED astronomers last night conceded that a schoolboy's spectacular
photograph of a meteor burning up in the sky was not a bogus shot.

And space experts are so excited about what they're now describing as a
"magnificent" picture that they want to hold a conference to debate the
threat posed by meteors to Earth. They want shooting star Jonathan Burnett,
15, to be the guest of honour at the event, which is likely to be held at
the Space Guard Centre in Knighton, Powys.

The centre's once-doubtful Jay Tate said another photo of the same meteor
had been published corroborating Jonathan's amazing picture.

Hotshot Jonathan, from Pencoed, near Bridgend, has been inundated with
messages from space fans across the globe. But there have been a few odd
messages. Two claimed the meteor was really Dr Who's Tardis; another said it
was an image of Wales' red dragon.

"We were never in any doubt that Jonathan's picture was genuine," said his
father Paul Burnett. "We were all quite upset and angry that people started
to cry down the picture and accuse Jonathan of faking it. However, I'm glad
they've changed their opinion and we'd be interested in taking part in a
conference, as long as it didn't interfere with his school work.

"We must have had more than 50 e-mails at the last count and the only
countries that haven't been in touch are Russia and Japan. Ninety-nine per
cent of the e-mails have been sensible but the odd ones have been quite funny."

The Space Guard Centre analyses the threat meteors pose to Earth.

Mr Tate said, "The scepticism is beginning to lift. Another photo taken in
another area of what looks to be the same meteor has come forward.

"I must admit, we were dubious about the picture but it now appears to be a
magnificent shot. We'd like to invite Jonathan to the centre to discuss it."

Amateur astronomer and Montgomeryshire MP Lembit Opik, who has warned
against the threat of near earth objects, congratulated Jonathan.

He said, "The explosion looks to have been backed up. It confirms what I've
been saying for a long time and Jonathan's got the proof."

The remarkable picture, taken while Jonathan snapped skateboarding friends
with his new digital camera, has made him a star at Nasa. The US space
agency made his photo Astronomy Picture of the Day - beating off pictures
from professional competitors from around the world. Experts said it was one
of the best shots of a meteor they'd ever seen.