[meteorite-list] Images of Wales meteor

From: (wrong string) ørn Sørheim <bsoerhei_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:21 2004

Hello All,
What worries me a bit that so many meteor-interested
and competent people (even inside NASA) can't agree
what a meteor do or should look like!

There doesn't seem to be too many good meteor pictures
around, that's a central problem. And seems like nobody
have issued a scholarly work on meteor cloud recognition
yet...

As it says quite clearly - if you read what the websites
write about what happened before the boy took the first
picture - I hardly did believe for a second that the bright head
of the meteor was a recording of an explosion or afterglow
of such. It is for shure just the low sun shining on an
extended meteor [burst] cloud.
..His boyfriend had to observe and tell the boy that there
was this weird cloud in the sky .. then the boy had to grab
the camera.. most probably zoom it .. then take the picture.
Would take some time all this...

As for your arguments Robert:
1. Sonic boom.
There isn't always [heard].
There wasn't in New Orleans, and lot of other cases.
Are you shure this was be a really big meteor?
The boy's picture now obviously turns out to be
zoomed to a great extent...

3. Observers.
We are at the start of collecting evidence. Observers
don't post here, right.
Took some days to get picture II, more times to develop
the paper, slide ones..
Magnitude -20!, where do you get that number from?
BTW, most meteorite dropping fireballs cluster around
-9 I read somewhere.
Also this was a daylight occurence, remember.
'Fireball' is not the correct word to use probably,
because it would be easier to spot the cloud afterwards,
than with an average, or even less than average, fireball
in a bright sky.

3. Contrail shape.
Damit!, in the second picture from Jon Burnett, it is
**clearly** starting to corkscrew.
Also I guess if you watch those missile launches from
Vandenberg base you are thinking of a MUCH longer timespan
than the short time between picture 1 and 2 from the
boy.

Some things that do point to a meteor:
- The trail is obviously turning more downwards in its track
compared to the ordinary jet contrail you see in the sky.
(I have definitely seen and videotaped my fair share of those,
and know their looks :-) )
This is definitely pointing towards a meteor origin.
- The trail is not split.
I'm convinced this mean you can rule out an airliner.
(But not a fighter plane, of course).
- The *sleek* shape of the trail, in picture 1.
It has not the kind of 'puff-puff' outline you would always see in
a rocket launch, or within seconds from a retarding airliner
contrail. I think this is an important observation!

The question of afterburners.
An afterburner is an addition to the standard operation of a
jet engine. If you cut off the afterburner, the main part of the
engine is still running and should show a contrail, for shure?!
I would hold it very unlikely that both parts of the engine
was cut off, very unusual occurence, I would think..
And why should the turnoff of an afterburner show up as
a large cloud like that, shouldn't it rather trickle down
to nothing. This is not during the WWI and that kind of
irregular engines, I would assume.

Regards,
Bjørn Sørheim