[meteorite-list] NaOH de-rusting solution and sulfide inclusions

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:20 2004

In NaOH treating of certain irons such as Uruacu and
certain sulphide rich irons I have noticed that the
inclusions become gold to brown. It is a very nice
effect on irons that have already been etched, where
these incluions are not so affected by acid etching.

The change is superficial, and does not penetrate
beyond the immediate surface.

It really brings the detail out and makes these stand
out against the previously acid etched surface.

Steve Schoner/ams

P.S. As soon as I get the Uruacu out of solution, I
will snap a photo to show the effect.