[meteorite-list] October's fireballs

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:19 2004

Hi All,

In addition to Zagami and Chassigny (btw I don't see Chassigny on the
meteorite calendar for October 3rd), there are three others you can
throw into the mix. 104 minutes prior to the 10/3/1996 Little Lake,
California bolide that Steve mentioned, a similar meteor made a pass
over eastern New Mexico and western Texas that was recorded on video
from El Paso. For a while, it was thought they were the same object:
an earth-grazer that skipped once off the atmosphere, went into low
earth orbit, and entered over California one rev later, but they
are now believe to be separate objects. (Wasn't there also a third
bolide observed over the North Sea within a day of this pair?)

We only have to go back to last year to add two more early-October
events to the list: the one over Midlands, England on 10/6/2002,
and one a day later over Colorado that was recorded by several
cameras but has so far eluded recovery. Perhaps it's time to
have another list contest where everyone guesses where the next
recovered fall will be found (excluding the recent possible fall
in India).

Best,
Rob