[meteorite-list] Moon Laser Base Proposed for Asteroid-Comet Hazard

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:53 2004

Hi,

    I would suggest to Dr. Ivashkin that more than international cooperation
is necessary before some nation or nations build a laser powerful enough to
destroy a small planetoid and place it on the Moon only 400,000 kilometers
away, with full access to the entire surface of the Earth and everyone on
it.
    It would take a remarkable degree of trust. A level of trust, in fact,
that is difficult to imagine given the present status and inclinations of
the upstart monkeyboy civilization achieved to date by homo sapiens.
    I'm betting that Tom's goony Martians wouldn't like it much either...

Sterling K. Webb