[meteorite-list] Puturano

From: E.J <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:53 2004

Timothy Finkle wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> <snip> Geologicaly speaking was this area volcanic in prehistoric times?

To my recollection nothing within 700-900 miles of Dallas is volcanic.
Until the quaternary it was under salt water in the"Gulf of Iowa"

Ok maybe a wee bit of a kimberlite pipe in Arkansas, some alleged pipes
on the UP of Michigan-- But nothing in mid North America in the past
600-700 million.

Lengthy caveat: I believe I told some folks from Wisconsin there
weren't any volcanoes near there but, some recent rock hound reports
have claimed to have found "Lava". Be it remembered that the northern
Midwest USA and Southern Canada were scraped flat several times over,
any above ground basal/ash was sent south. Any ash was mixed in with
the prairie loess and could have been mistaken for ash from the Great
Western Basin such as was deposited in the Dakota Badlands.

So the object in question is not likely native to the FWD Metroplex.
You asked any suggestions? have a lab look at it at this point.

One final caution.. To my further recall, the "nickel" test kits widely
available via ebay can render a false positive in the presence of iron
so its utility in testing for meteorities is possibly unreliable

Elton